This week’s devotions are based on Week 5 of “I Love My Church…Love by Sharing!” (WATCH HERE)
We can debate whether postings on social media are a true sampling of the human psyche, but perhaps they give us an insight into what is important to people. What’s important…people talk about. What they think is valuable…they share.
Here’s just a few examples I noticed this evening with a short scroll through Facebook:
- A family announcing the birth of their child and the grandparents-to-be excitedly sharing the news on their feed.
- An individual who had started a successful handyman business, sharing his method to gain good customers and make a good income.
- An individual celebrating a birthday and sharing all the things for which she is thankful as she starts a new year.
We share what is important. We share what we love. We share what we are excited about.
So what about our faith?
The Apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 4:13 “It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in his presence.”
The reality that drove the Apostle Paul to speak about Jesus to everyone and anyone who would listen was his deep love for the faith that God had given to him. If he didn’t believe that Jesus lived, died and rose again for HIM, he would have not become the greatest first century missionary he was. How do we know? Because before God changed his mind and heart, he was a vocal advocate AGAINST Jesus. He loved persecuting Christians and speaking against Christ. Why? Because he felt it was important and he loved his Pharisee way of life.
We speak about what we love, whether we love Jesus or we love something else. We will speak about what we love.
So, perhaps here’s a consideration:
If I am having troubles or fears about speaking about Jesus, perhaps I need, not a course in witnessing (although that could be helpful), but a reconnection to the deep love that Jesus has for me and the significant sacrifice he made for me. As I fall deeper in love with all Jesus has done for me, speaking about it may just become easier and easier.
So, what things do you love about your faith and the basis of that faith in Jesus? Here’s a few that come to mind for me.
- I love that my identity, value and worth are not based on any human’s opinion, but solely on my heavenly Father’s perspective and the actions of Jesus that died for me…showing how valuable I am to him.
- I love that when death comes, heaven is my home. I don’t have to fear death, rather I can embrace it and look forward to.
- I love that God has given me his Word of truth to have an objective foundation for not just faith, but for every aspect of life.
The interesting thing is this: These are the topics I probably find myself speaking of. I want people to love Jesus for the same reasons I do.
So take some time today and list at least five reasons that you love Jesus and your heavenly Father. If someone brought up these topics, would you find it easier to share? I bet you would!
Apply: Do take some time today and simply finish this sentence: “The reason I love God so much is…”
Prayer: Lord God, thank you for giving me so many reasons to love you. Help me always love you so much that I have no other option but to share you with others! AMEN