(NOTE: This sermon series and devotional series is based on a book by Tim Keller entitled, Counterfeit Gods.
You may choose to download or purchase the book as a supplement to your worship and devotional emails.)
Sometimes we need help knowing where to look.
Has your child ever asked, “Have you seen my shoes?” “Have you seen my jersey?” “Have you seen my Chromebook?”
To which you as a parent respond, “Have you looked in the bin by the door?” “Is it in your hamper?” Or “Is it next to the chair you were sitting in last night?”
Parents make brownie points with their kids when their “all knowing parent sense” is able to help their child locate something they are missing.
What if we would ask God a similar question, “God, have you seen counterfeit gods in my life?”
What do you think God would say?
His words might start with the phrase, “Have you looked…”
And then followed by these four areas to look and discover if counterfeit gods lurk near by.
- Look at your imagination
- Look at the way you spend your money.
- Look at the times you felt disappointed with God
- Look at your uncontrolled emotions.
Any one of these places to look can yield one or more counterfeit gods. The connection between them all is that they all fill a void in life.
Imagination? What are you trying to escape from?
Money? What void does having wealth fill for you?
Disappointed in God? What expectation of God did you create that is not filled?
Emotions? What lurks in the iceberg of your heart that is an unresolved hurt that flares in uncontrolled emotion?
Each one of these voids must be removed and then replaced with Christ.
How does this happen? Set your hearts and minds on things above…on Jesus.
- Colossians 3:1-5 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- 5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.
The voids that our imagination, our money, our lashing out at God, and our emotions fill are only going to be vacated and refilled by a counterfeit god unless those counterfeit gods are removed and replaced with Christ. And only when Christ fills those voids can we be confident to get rid of that was filling them and replace it with the heart, mind and truth of Christ.
Apply: Work through the four areas to look for counterfeit gods. Take one every other day for a week or so. What does God reveal to you?
Prayer: Lord expose my heart to your truth so that I never have another need for a counterfeit god. AMEN.